On April 10, 1836, a grant of one league was been made by acting governor Nicolás Gutierrez to Francisco Figueroa for his daughter, Guadalupe. This was patented on January 21, 1876 to Henry D. Cobb. It consisted of 4,435 acres.
The Spanish term Corral de Tierra means "corral of earth." This name comes from a natural box canyon in the old part of Corral de Tierra. The steep sides of this canyon made a natural corral once an earthen wall was erected across the narrow mouth. No trace of the wall remains today.
- Clark, Donald T., Monterey County Place Names (Kestrel Press, Carmel Valley, 1991).