The Point Sur Lightstation was built between 1887 and 1889 on the seaward side of Point Sur (known locally as Moro Rock), a rock jutting 270 feet above the water on one side and the beach on the other. It began operations on August 1, 1889.|
The Coast Guard took over control in 1939, when lighthouses were transferred from the Commerce Department to the Treasury Department. The station was automated in 1972, and the 1st Order Fresnel lands was placed on deposit in the Allen Knight Maritime Museum.
On August 16, 1984, the site was transferred to the California Department of Parks and Recreation where it is now a part of Point Sur State Historic Park.
Photograph by Trudy Haversat and Gary S. Breschini.
Copyright 1998 by T. Haversat and G.S. Breschini. All rights reserved.
- Clark, Donald T., Monterey County Place Names (Kestrel Press, Carmel Valley, 1991).