One of the few remaining adobes built in the simpler Mexican style which once lined Monterey's streets, Casa Gutierrez now appropriately houses a colorful Mexican restaurant. Map.
Joaquin Gutierrez came to Monterey from Mexico in the 1830s as a young cavalry soldier. He married a daughter of the old Escobar family, and they had a family of 15 children. In 1841 he obtained from the town authorities a town lot and on the southern part of it built his home with a wing that has been torn down. The building was probably built around 1846. With the death of Joaquin in 1872 the property was divided among heirs.
The Gutierrez Adobe was preserved from a sale for taxes by the Monterey Foundation, and in 1954 it was purchased by the State of California and became part of the Monterey Foundation, and in 1954 it was purchased by the State of California and became part of Monterey State Historic Park. Since 1966 it has been operated as a Mexican restaurant under a concession agreement.
Location: Calle Principal nead Madison Street