About Monterey County Historical Society
Founded in 1933, and incorporated in 1955, the Monterey County Historical Society is a non-profit organization dedicated to the ongoing preservation of our own past. The Society is responsible for a massive collection of family, city and county archival materials. These rare and valuable documents are housed in our temperature and humidity controlled archival vault. Scholars, authors, students, attorneys and the public are using these historical documents for research purposes at an ever-increating rate.
The Jose Eusebio Boronda Adobe, built on the 2,230-acre Rancho Rinconada del Zanjon on the northeast corner, is an unflawed fragment of Spanish California, an actual environment in which Monterey County people lived, slept and ate.
The Bataan Memorial is dedicated to the one hundred and five brave men of Company C 194th Tank Battalion of the Salinas and Pajaro Valleys who were captured in Luzon, Philippine Islands, by Japanese forces and marched in the Bataan Death March.
Built by the famed architect William H. Weeks, the home was moved from John and Solidad Street. The Society is in the process of restoring the home to become a house museum depicting the lifestyle of how people lived during that time.
The Lagunita Schoolhouse was built in 1897 on San Juan Grade Road facing Sugar Loaf Mountain. This is the same little schoolhouse that John Steinbeck wrote about in The Red Pony. Truly a piece of Americana history.
The Filipino Bunkhouse was moved from Balestra Farms and donated to the Society by the Bunn & Yuki families. Completely restored by the Filipino American National Historical Society (Monterey Bay Chapter) the building depicts the living conditions of Filipino farm laborers.
The Monterey County Historical Society is in the process of building a 12,400 square foot agricultural museum and research center. Construction is ongoing as we continue to develop our 5-acre parcel at the Boronda History Center.